Are you looking to do something different?
Would to like to meet new people and watch 120 competitiors Sand Yacht in Meath?
Would you like to volunteer at a European Sporting Competition?
Ireland plays host to the Coca-Cola 52nd European Sand Yachting Championships on Bettystown & Laytown beaches, County Meath from Monday 11 to Friday 15 September 2017. Now is your chance to join is this amazing sport as an Event Volunteer.
The event will be held on the expansive beaches where over 100 of the best land sailors in Europe will race over a five day period. The Meath coastline has always been a popular venue for national and visiting land sailors and is no stranger to this type of sailing as the Irish Power Kite and Sandyacht Association (IPKSA) regularly hold events there.
We are looking for enthusiastic, outgoing, reliable, safety conscious Event Volunteers.
This is a great opportunity for people to have fun, provide support and meet some new people we well as helping to promote Meath as a destination. Volunteers will be based on the beach acting as ambassdaors for the event and engaging with the general public and spectators to ensure that we have a safe event for all present. We are asking to volunteers to contribute a maximum of two days across the five days of the volunteer programme.
All volunteers are required to attend training which will help brief you about the sport and the event itself. We’ll also ensure that you get the most from the experience of volunteering. Volunteers will receive food and refreshements during their volunteering shift as well recognition for their contribution of time.
You will be managed by experienced volunteer managers on site. Here are a few reasons to join our team at this event:
– It’s a great way to enjoy the (late) summer and meet new people – It’s an opportunity to cheer and encourage the 100 participants from all over Europe
– Supervision by experienced Volunteer Managers
– Volunteering can be a good asset to your CV. We provide you with a certificate of participation as a record that you volunteered with us
– Gain experience in event volunteering and event management, get insight into how large scale outdoor events are managed
– Consider inviting friends and family to join you. Not only does this help us to find the volunteers that we need but it adds to the atmosphere of the event and fun of those involved.
All volunteers will be provided with training and printed resources. On event day you’ll get refreshments, an event t-shirt, as well as the support of Volunteer Ireland staff and Volunteer Team Leaders on the day.
In order to volunteer at the Coca-Cola European Sand Yachting Champsionship all Event Volunteers must attend either one of our mandatory training session as follows:
- 10:30 to 13:00, Saturday 2 September 2017
Saint Marys Church Large Parish Room, Laytown Road, Julianstown, Co Meath, A92 VR02 (Map of location)
- 18:30 to 21:00, Monday 4 September 2017
Reddan’s of Bettystown, Neptune Beach, Coast Road (R150), Bettystown, County Meath, A92 PY6N
You need to organise your own transport to and from the venues and unfortuntaly we can’t cover transport costs. If you are driving from Dublin allow 45 minutes for the journey. Free on-street and on-beach parking is available close to Laytown Racecourse.
- Irish Rail Trains operate From Dublin and Dundlalk to Laytown Train Station (Timetables www.irishrail.ie/media/15_dublin-dundalk.pdf)
- Bus Éireann service D1 Operates from Drogheda Bus Station to Laytown (Timetables www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1472130681-D1.pdf)
- Matthews Coaches service operates from Bettystown to Dublin City via Laytown (Timetable www.matthews.ie/admin/image/timetable_pdf/1488370418040c537.pdf)
Volunteer screening and selection
As part of our screening and selection procedures all volunteers are required to provide one form of valid in date photographic ID at the Volunteer Training. All volunteers must upload a photograph to their profile as part of the application process.
Volunteer Hub and shift times
Each day Event volunteers will be required to sign in and out at the Volunteer Hub which will be based at Laytown Racecourse, Coast Road (R150), Laytown, County Meath. (Map Location https://goo.gl/maps/ApQpiFtf48J2).
Shift times vary each day dependent on tides and commence at 07:30 on Monday and get later as the week goes on. When you apply to volunteer you can select the day / time that suits you best, please remember you must be there for the full shift.
For more information visit the event web site www.ec2017ireland.com For more information on the sport of sand yachting please visit the Irish Power Kite Sandyacht web site www.ipksa.com
How to apply
Complete an application form now.
The volunteer programme is managed by Volunteer Ireland and supported by the following organisations: