About this event:
Many of the leading blind golfers in the world will take part in the revived Irish Blind Golf Open championship to be held at Roganstown golf and country club from July 2 to July 5 next.
The championship is being staged by the Irish Blind Golf Society with sponsorship assistance from Vision Sports Ireland and Dr Haruhisha Handa, a Japanese millionaire businessman, academic and philanthropist. The first Irish blind golf open championship was held in Bray, Co Wicklow in 1993 and subsequently at Mount Juliet and at Turvey.
The event at Roganstown affirms the status of Irish Blind Golf Society in the international blind golf community. Competitors from Australia, Japan, South Africa, Italy, Israel, Netherlands, Canada, Scotland, Northern Ireland, England/Wales and the Republic of Ireland will bid for the Irish Open Championship over the North Co. Dublin course. Included in the entries are 2014 Australian Blind Golf Open Champion Kris Adams from Scotland, the 2013 British Blind Golf Open Champion, Chris Evans (England / Wales), the 2012 Italian Blind Golf Open Champion Mirco Ghiggeri from Italy and 2012 IBGA World Blind Golf Champion Pieta le Roux (England/Wales).
In all 33 golfers across three sight categories – B1 (totally blind) and visually impaired players in categories B2 and B3 – will compete. Blind golf is a team effort – each player has a guide who assists in setting up the shot. Nine of the thirty three competitors are totally blind (sight category B1), the remaining being visually impaired (sight categories B2 and B3. The four top ranked category B1 players as decided by the International Blind Golf Association will play in the tournament at Roganstown Golf and Country Club. Leading members of the Irish Blind Golf Society Jimmy Murray, Paul O’Rahilly, Wally Roode, Adrian Downey and Joe Lonergan will also take part.
The quality of the entry speaks highly of the reputation of Irish golf and Irish Blind Golf. Nearly 70 players and guides from eleven countries will be at Roganstown Golf and Country Club, which was designed by Christy O’Connor jnr, for the open.
The 20 latest Blog Posts
- Event Volunteers launch outline programme of events for 2019
- Battle for the Bay Water Sports Festival (Saturday 25 & Sunday May 2019)
- Tall Ships Regatta Dublin 2018 (Friday 1 – Monday 4 June 2018)
- We’ve updated our Privacy Statement
- Join us as an Event Volunteer at the Tall Ships Regatta
- One busy week … one amazing team
- Event Volunteers goes from strength to strength
- Event Volunteers achieves Green Light Standard
- Event Volunteers Training Calendar 2017
- Want to know more about Event Volunteers? Check out our new brochure
- We’re taking our Winter break, see you in 2016
- We’re taking our Winter break, see you in 2017
- Fingal Festival of Fire, Blanchardstown (Wednesday 31 October 2018)
- Check out behind the scenes – St Patrick’s Day Parade in Swords & Blanchardstown by Digital Creatures
- Check out our review of our 2014 Volunteer Programme
- Event Volunteers to present at 23rd World Volunteer Conference in September 2014
- Programma volontari Grande Partenza del Giro d’Italia 2014
- Missed our Recent Volunteer Recruitment Roadshow, not to worry
- Calendar of Forthcoming Events 2016
- We’re recruiting a volunteer Graphic Designer to help develop our brand